The Best of Texas Awards recognizes public-sector professionals and government organizations for dedication and outstanding contributions to our state via IT services. The awards are now in their 16th year.
“Government leaders in Texas are leveraging technology to make government services more accessible and easier to use for the Texas residents that want and need them,” said Todd Sander, executive director of the Center for Digital Government. “Making government services easier to access and use helps improve residents’ lives and creates efficiencies and cost savings for the agencies involved.. Congratulations to this year’s Best of Texas Award winners!”
The following agencies were honored recently in the 2017 Best of Texas Awards by the Center for Digital Government
- The Texas Veterans Commission and the Texas Department of Information Resources for a redesign of the Texas Veteran’s Portal. The site was made mobile friendly and had features added.
- The Texas Office of the Attorney General for creating a mobile accessible site and kiosk access for Child Support Interactive services. These provide secure access points for customers who might have difficult with printing and accessing sites.
- The Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County for implementing a social media customer care strategy that allows their specialists to post and manage alerts for the customers in real time via social media channels.
Demonstrated Excellence in Project Management
Karen Lewis, ITS Project Manager
Texas Education Agency
Best IT Collaboration Among Organizations
- Texas Veterans Portal, Texas Veterans Commission and Texas Department of Information Resources
- Dallas, Tarrant and Travis County Prosecutor, Defense Attorney and Local Law Enforcement Portal
Best Application Serving an Agency’s Business Needs
- El Paso County E-Bond
- Harris County Law Enforcement Network Search
- Treasury Offset Program – Benefits Project, Texas Workforce Commission
Best Data Analytics/ Business Intelligence Project
- Houston Community College Academic Dashboard
Best Application Serving the Public
- Comptroller.Texas.Gov Website Rebuild, Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts
- Texas Career Check, Texas Workforce Commission
Best Mobile/Wireless Project
- Child Support Interactive Mobile Web and Kiosk Project, Texas Office of the Attorney General
Most Innovative Use of Social Media/ Citizen Engagement
- City of El Paso Zoo Webcams
- Houston METRO Service Alerts, Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County
For the govtech.com story on the winners, please CLICK HERE.
During the reception, the 11 Outstanding IT Service and Support Awards (listed below) were also presented to those dedicated to Texas public service.
Outstanding IT Service and Support Award Recipients:
Recognizing the dedicated work of public servants who work day after day – as team members, team leads, IT project leads and managers – upholding the highest standards of public service:
- Dave Childers, Applications Services Supervisor, Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
- Paul Cook, Business Process Consultant Senior, City of Austin / Communications & Technology Management
- Karen Garcia, Team Lead IMD Procurement, Texas Department of Transportation
- Suzanne Hays, IT Human Resources Manager, Texas Workforce Commission
- Veda Hickman, Systems Analyst, Texas Lottery Commission
- Dustin Johnson, Manager of Business Analysis, Texas General Land Office
- Zhi Lin, IT Tools Team Lead, Texas Education Agency
- David O’Hara, TXCSES 1.0 Mobile and Portal Supervisor, Texas Office of the Attorney General – Child Support Division
- Leonel Ramirez, Server Administrator, Texas State Office of Risk Management
- Teri Shade, Systems Analyst Business Solutions, Texas Department of Information Resources
- Layla Young, Information Technology Services Development Manager, Texas Department of Insurance